Monday, February 7, 2011

The Gulf

Yesterday Dave and I loaded up the boys and a picnic lunch and drove ourselves down to the Gulf. It's about a 45 minute drive from where we live now. Driving south we winded around fields and water. Sometimes one side of the road would be water and the other side would be cow (steer) pastures; other times it was mostly water on both sides. It reminded me of driving around the countryside where Eric and Abby used to live in Maryland. If feels like the ocean is just creeping in and it could take over at any moment. Of course, at Holly Beach, where we were driving, the ocean often does take over. Wikipedia said the houses there are "built to be re-built." And the sewer system includes about a half dozen porta-potties because no permanent option is available. None the less, it was a beautiful beach, with no oil in sight. There were shells everywhere. I can just imagine the boys running up and down the beach, playing in the water and collecting shells. It makes me happy and excited to know that both our boys will learn to walk while we're living here. We ended up eating our picnic lunch in the car because it was a tad cooler than we expected with the breeze coming off the water. It was still nice to get out and see the local sights, so to speak. Enjoy a few photos from our day!

James and Dave checking out the endless water.
Andrew was still waking up from the car ride...and I am finally fitting into my pre-prego jeans again!!!
Pretty skies and handsome boys. ...See the house on stilts off to the left?!
My first alligator sighting...just a sign :)


3 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh...breathtaking. Thanks for describing it so beautifully. It makes me feel like I'm there! I would be so excited that the boys get to learn to walk and run by the beach...that is just dreamy. They are going to LOVE it!

    A picnic on the beach (even if it's in the car!) sounds like heaven on earth. Good for you for making the most of your new home!!! YAY!

    By the way, you look amazing! I can only hope to look as good as you that quickly!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I second the comment that you look amazing! And the view is incredible. keep the pictures coming so I can live vicariously through you! I'm buried in snow. :-(

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful day and what an amazing family. And you do look great Liz!
    ~Violet

    ReplyDelete